Our Little Bird Has Left the Nest

It happened, our first foster has left for a wonderful life with her furever family.  I had such mixed emotions yesterday I waited until today to express them.

Kayla getting ready to be a ski bunny.
The first was fear, fear of the unknown, would I turn into a blubbering mess when I brought her to start her journey to her new life?  Would I be strong and keep that smile on my face?  Or, there was the third option of pulling a Thelma and Louise and riding off on a great adventure just the two of us, but the end of that movie didn't appeal to me so I choose to be an hour late delivering her and we did the rounds visiting everyone who wanted to say good-bye.  I made of point of bringing Kayla out into the world to meet anyone she could.  She was an amazing ambassador for the breed and everyone  who met her loved her.  (or at least liked her....lol) Thank goodness her temporary foster Mamma was patient with me.


Kayla saying goodbye to my sister at her work. 
   In the end I kept the smile on my face until I left.  I shed a few tears but not many.  I know shes going to have a wonderful life in a place she can run like the wind!! 


Now I feel relief.  Relief that this phase of fostering has been completed, and for the next one I'll have some experience to fall back on.  Also a sense of relief that Kayla is going to be safe and loved.  Her furever family is waiting and I can't wait to see pictures of her livin it up!!

Of course I wasn't the only one that dealt with her leaving the Mister is going to miss her as well.  She is such a good puppy he was sad to see her go as well.

Note where Kayla is in this crazy mess....lol  snuggled right in.
 My children handled it amazingly.  We have experienced a few pet losses and they were very sad, at least in this case they know she is going on to have a good life.  Not up in heaven waiting in line to get in with the rest of the dead animals..... my son was 6 when our cat got hit my a car in front of our home.  It was traumatic for him and later that night we were talking he asked if wild animals went to heaven as well.  I replied yes.  His next question was as horrifying as it was funny, he asks so when they get to heaven are they still squished?  Yup our of the mouths of babes....


Kayla loved when the kids wore fleecy PJ's...lol
I haven't been fostering long but I have my general system of what I like to do.  I treat the dogs like my kids.  They need love, discipline and to learn life lessons.  My job as a parent of children or animals is to prepare them for life outside of my home.  To make them well rounded beings that can function and thrive in general society.  I may come across as a little soft sometimes but I have my limits and in a kind and gentle way (ok, when they do something really stupid I may raise my voice.... ) I let them know that's just not cool.  It may not be up to some standards but I try and I'm always open to suggestions and lessons.

All that being said on Kaylas last night here she and Windy got into some naughtiness.  I took the cover off the dog bed to wash it.  The pillow underneath is not very strong and I made the mistake of leaving it on the floor..... this is what we saw when we checked in on them

RIP Big Dog Bed....
 This is when I raise my voice...lol 

Happy trails Kayla we will always have a place in our hearts and your picture on the wall.  We started a wall for fosters, the kids like it and so do we!  Kayla, you make sure your furever family keeps us updated on your wonderful life.

Miss you and Love ya
Sonia and Family



Comments

  1. Aww, congrats on your first adoption! It's hard, isn't it? I go back and forth on whether it gets easier or not. I think it all depends on the bond you've formed with the foster.

    What are your plans now? Do you have another foster lined up or are you taking a mini foster break?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have one full day which is today and then tomorrow night I get the famous Seniorita Margarita back!! This puppy needs a little more of a structured routine so I think we are both headed for training. She's a wild and crazy gal. We had a great bond with Kayla but like we both know others need us right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts