Thick Skin, Ticks, and Rememberance

Well its been an eventfull week. 

First up, a word on developing a thick skin.  Every blog and website I've read dealing with pitbulls and pitbull like dogs all mention that if you are going to love and live with these dogs you have to develop a thick skin.  I guess I've been sheltered so far with our dog and only have been around supportive people, but yesterday I got my first reality check.  I phoned the animal control of Gatineau to find out where to find a dog training facility that is recognised by the city to have my dog pass the basic obidience level.  This is a requirement to own a"Pitbull, or Pitbull mix, or any dog that looks like a Pitbull" there is also about 8 more special requirements reserved just for this breed who the City deems a dangerous dog.

 Now I have to admit there were some language issues they did not speak much English and I have limited French but one thing came across loud and clear.... in his best English this man from the City of Gatineau informed me "Pitbulls are very aggressive and need to be controlled" the tone of voice was snotty not pleasent.  Wow I was stunned, he knew nothing of my dog, I took it personally I'm afraid and at first was very hurt, then it turned wtfrig @#%* jerk to anger.  This just cements my decsion even more, to help this breed which though no fault of thier own has been slandered and mailighned.  They need a voice and in any way I can I will try to let it be heard.  Even if it simply means that my dog is well behaved above and beyond the norm, just so he can prove to everyone that he is not a threat any more than any other breed.  What a heavy load for each of these dogs to bear.  Now that means we will have to work a little harder on teaching him that not everyone likes slobby kisses and paw marks on thier pants...

Aggresive will have to wait until after my nap....





So the next adventure was the Tick.... OMGoodness, my cat Monsieur Charleau got himself a guest Mr. Tick.  I was petting him and felt a bump, took a look and wondered what the hell is that?  The Mister looked it up on the Internet and much to our horror surprise it was a tick.The most nasty thing I've seen in a long time and very large. Next is a list of things happened in the next 5 mins....

1-  I cannot describe the urge to get the cat off me.
2- The cat was quickly sequestered to the garage for the night.  (poor guy)
3- The mister and I were scratching all night thinking about that nasty thing on our cat. 
4- We then checked over the dog for any guests and afterwards he had the dejected look like we had violated him....


Pre disgusting tick incident kicking our aggressive dog of his bed....

The next day we had an emergency visit to the vet to get it removed bleeech.... I'm still itching...

And last but not least I hope everyone spends the day today in the comfort of their homes safe and secure in the knowledge that because of  sacrifices in the past we have a stable and secure society to live in today.

Our family made poppies to put out on the front lawn this year.
Take Care

Comments

Popular Posts