Greener than the Green Grass of Home

I guess the first words are always the hardest....

I've started this blog for two reasons;

One is that I'm assuming that my sister is tired of getting a picture of my dog (Windigo) on a weekly basis doing something I think is cute, "Hi Terra look at Windy with a dirty face, looking cute in his new T-Shirt, sleeping, breathing"....etc attach the picture and send away.  It's ok Terra I'm sharing with others now...lol.

Second is that I've applied to foster a dog with an organization called Bullies in Need.  http://bulliesinneed.ca/  I have passed the application and phone interview and am now at the home visit stage.  It happens this Saturday and fingers crossed all goes well. 

It was a big decision to foster and I had to get the blessing of my family.  I had to explain to my ten year old daughter and seven year old son what it was and that the dogs would be leaving in time.  My daughter was unsure of this and I explained that we are not the only good home out there and we need to make room for more dogs that need emergency care.  She also liked the idea of being involved in the job of getting the foster used to what a good home was like before they went to their forever home. It gave my daughter (Katie) a job and a role in this endeavor.  My son (Cambpell) is just happy to have someone else to cuddle with in the morning when he first wakes up.  This is his favorite activity with our dog.

So hence the title of this post, I am a greenest of the greenhorns when it comes to fostering.  I've corresponded with other fosters and also read blogs about the subject and one thing comes through loud and clear, though it may be hard sometimes there is a great satisfaction that one gets from knowing that you did some good.  I'm really trying to instill that in my children, to do what you think is insignificant to help but when you add up all the little acts of kindness they equal something great.  Katie currently makes dog cookies to sell to raise funds for various animal charities and I'm sure through the course of the year she will think if other things to do.  She is passionate about animals and I want to do all I can to encourage this behaviour.  Besides, our dog loves when its baking night he gets all the mishaped cookies and the leftovers!!


Katies Nanny helping with cookies and Windy waiting.
 


                                


Still waiting.... sigh...
                                
                                  
After deciding to foster the next difficult decision was which rescue I would foster for.  It was a difficult decision.  I finally decided on Bullies in Need.  You see, I adopted Windy from the Aylmer SPCA and was told he was a lab mix. (which he is) In my naivete I did not foresee what his looks would bring out in other people.  I have been told by many people that he looks like he has pit bull in him.  Really I have no idea if this is true but just the fact he looks like it has tainted him in the eyes of some others.  The stigma and fear runs deep, deeper than I ever would have thought. When the truth is, Windy to put it bluntly, is a goof.  He is very friendly towards people and other animals he has even put up with cat attacks and simply walked away.  My son has put him though all reasonable tests of tolerance and he has passed with flying colours.  He is the ultimate family companion and no matter what his rolling stone of a father may have been he is number one with us!!  This is the reason why I choose Bullies in Need not only to help animals but also to try and educate, the best I can, about the most misunderstood breed out there today.

So fingers crossed I pass the home inspection and I will be soon talking of a new arrival. Send all good thoughts my way!!  Until next time.

Comments

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I love BIN and think they do great work. You're going to love fostering :]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts